The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsider and Place on the Minutes

Wright Stuff

On 3/17/2024 at 8:46 AM, Wright Stuff said:

This motion is very interesting. I just learned of it today. Do I understand it correctly that the motion does not require a vote and that it is “passed” by a second? Have you ever moved it or seen it moved? I’d love to hear your experience with its use. 37:46

The correct name of this motion is Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes.  

I don't think that I would characterize this motion as having been "passed" when it has been properly moved and seconded.  Making and seconding this motion simply means that it cannot be called up until another day.

Yes, I've seen it used but I'm not about to expend the time and effort to describe it all. 😀

On 3/17/2024 at 7:46 AM, Wright Stuff said:

Do I understand it correctly that the motion does not require a vote and that it is “passed” by a second?

Well, that's not exactly correct.

If the motion to Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes is moved and second, the underlying motion is suspended, and (unlike the normal motion to Reconsider), the motion cannot be "called up" until a meeting on a later date - or, if it is the last day of a convention, it may be called up at a later meeting on the same day. When the motion to Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes is actually called up, it still requires a majority for adoption.

On 3/17/2024 at 7:46 AM, Wright Stuff said:

Have you ever moved it or seen it moved?

No. This motion is extremely rarely used, and I have never seen it in actual practice.

Best I can do is cite what RONR says about the hypothetical circumstances where it would be used.

"To illustrate the use of this form of the motion, suppose that at a long meeting of a county historical society, many members have left, unknowingly leaving a quorum composed mainly of a small group determined to commit the society to certain action that a few of those present believe would be opposed by most of the membership. A member in opposition can prevent the vote on such action from becoming final by moving “to reconsider and enter on the minutes the vote on…” To be in a position to do this, such a member—detecting the hopelessness of preventing an affirmative result on the vote—should vote in the affirmative himself. If the motion to Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes is seconded, all action required by the vote proposed to be reconsidered is suspended, and there is time to notify absent members of the proposed action." RONR (12th ed.) 37:49

Edited by Josh Martin

On 3/17/2024 at 11:08 AM, Wright Stuff said:

Maybe you could describe ONE example you’ve seen. 

One example of such a motion having been made occurred during one of NAP's conventions a number of years ago.  Perhaps someone else who is familiar with this particular occasion will be willing to provide you with the details.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.