The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Changing Budgeted Project

Tad Pritchett

Our previous HOA Board voted to approve a large project and put it in this year’s Budget. The new Budget with the project had to be approved by a simple majority of residents at the Annual HOA Meeting. The new Budget with the project was approved by the residents.

The President of the new Board is the same person who is now President of the new Board. They claim, on their own, that the project is not approved and has to be approved by the new Board consisting of two new members. This is the same President who called for the vote to put the project into the new Budget and called for the vote for approval of all residents for the Budget. There have been no new motions, only the President changing a legitimate vote.

I believe this is a gross violation of Roberts Rules and I am looking for a way to reinstitute the project.

Any ideas?

Thank You

On 3/28/2024 at 4:47 PM, Tad Pritchett said:

The President of the new Board is the same person who is now President of the new Board

I believe you want to change a word here, because otherwise it's repetitious. 

On 3/28/2024 at 4:47 PM, Tad Pritchett said:

They claim, on their own, that the project is not approved and has to be approved by the new Board

On what grounds is this claim being made? It is difficult to comment on its validity without knowing the rationale. For example, is the president saying that the previous vote was just to earmark the funds but didn't actually approve going ahead with the project? That the board needs to vote to approve the contract to implement the project? That the changeover in the board membership requires a new approval? Some other rationale?

And when you answer that, it would likely be helpful to provide more details on exactly what motions were voted on at the board and membership meetings. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.