The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations

Guest Joyce Ann Clark

On 5/14/2024 at 7:25 AM, Guest Joyce Ann Clark said:

Can the president make a nomination?

During nominations from the floor can the president stop in the middle and take a break allowing delegates to leave the room?

Doing this might be somewhat unusual, but I am not aware of any provision in RONR that would prohibit it.   I can envision circumstances where there might be many nominations or a lack of nominations, such as for delegates to a convention or a very large board, and the members want an opportunity to discuss possible nominees among themselves to find out who is willing to serve, etc.   In such cases, a short recess or standing at ease seems reasonable.  More information as to exactly how this "break allowing delegates to leave the room" came about would be helpful, though.  If it is done by unanimous consent (without objection), I see nothing wrong with it.

Edited to add:  As to whether the president can make a nomination, more information would be helpful.  In a large meeting, the chair should not do so while presiding in order to maintain the appearance of impartiality.  However, in a small board or committee using the "small board rules", the chair may participate to the same extent as the other members.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Can the president make a nomination?

For the same reasons that the chair should refrain from making motions or speaking in debate or (except in some circumstances) voting, I do not think the chair should make a nomination during nominations from the floor, however, the chair, if a member, ultimately has the right to do so.

(Of course, in a small board, the chair is as free to participate as other members.)

During nominations from the floor can the president stop in the middle and take a break allowing delegates to leave the room?

The President can't order this on his own authority, but I'm not aware of any rule preventing the assembly from ordering a recess during nominations.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.