The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Debate may have been closed prematurely - how to correct

Big George

As provided for in our state-wide rules, our county organization starts from scratch every two years.  The first thing is an organization meeting, where rules are adopted and officers are elected.  I was unable to attend the meeting, but I am told that the rules were adopted following some debate, but that perhaps more should have been allowed.  Specifically, after two members had spoken for and one against, a second member spoke against.  Apparently they realized that the majority supported the rules as proposed, and in frustration said that she "called the question".  The chair then put the rules to a vote, and they passed, something like 53 to 33.

I am concerned that the chair may have erred in putting the rules to a vote before all potential amendments were considered and before the 3 for and 3 against had spoken.  It would have been proper to move the Previous Question, but per RORN 16.7, that requires a 2/3 vote, which I don't think happened. 

I don't think it would have changed the outcome, but the members in the minority would probably have felt better about it.  I actually drafted the rules that were adopted and support them.  I'm just concerned about making sure everyone feels like their voice matters.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.