The Official RONR Q & A Forums

once nominations are closed

Guest J. J.

then what is the point of having a general meeting for people to nominate candidates and close the nominations no voting necessary as all chairs were accepted by the nominee 1 for each chair do not need to vote on these???/ we only have 1 chair that need"

Nominations are NOT required in ballot voting (p. 416). You can only vote in person when the polls are open, which is the point of the meeting (assuming your bylaws do not provide for absentee voting).

In some societies, nominations are a method"

I don't fully understand Sandra's organization's procedures.

I think sandra is saying that the nominations occur at one meeting, and they are closed at that meeting. So if there is only one nomination for any office, then it makes sense to jus"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>we had nominations and all but 1 office was filled<<

Nope. Nominations don't fill offices; elections do.

Even if there's only one candidate, if your bylaws require an election (i.e. a ballot vote), an election you must have"

thank you for all your replys however it is still not answered. a person has the right to vote when a position has no one nominated to it Nominations are done at one meeting yes it is posted that anyone wanting to nominate or run should be at this meeting"

One point of confusion may be about ballot voting. If your bylaws simply call for ballot voting for your election, then your organization must follow that rule, even when only one person has been nominated for an office. Declaring the office filled by acc"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>I have lost faith in going by these Roberts rules that i always respected they are contradictory to me now and really need to be thought out<<

You might want to consider the possibility that it's you, and not Roberts' Rules, that ne"

Guest Steve Britton

Sandra, go back and read your club's bylaws, carefully. Sometimes there is language therein that prohibit the election of write-ins, or only allows for the election of persons that have been nominated in a manner as prescribed therein. If there is no su"

Archived