The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When Special Rules of Order are located in Standing Rules

Tomm

On 9/20/2024 at 5:55 PM, Drake Savory said:

Which I pointed out in my post assuming the information the OP received constituted previous notice.  Since what will be voted on is a policy, my question is germane in that I suspect (through ignorance) that the Chair would declare the Special Rules as passed with only a majority vote adopting the policy.  The reply to my question makes it clear that the entire policy fails unless getting a 2/3 vote.  I think it clarified, not confused the situation.

Your quote of what I posted omits the last portion of what I said regarding the vote needed for adoption of a special rule of order. What I said was "Special rules of order require either previous notice and a two-thirds vote, or the vote of a majority of the entire membership for their adoption."

In this instance we are dealing with action by a board, and obtaining the vote of a majority of the members of the board may be much easier than obtaining a two-thirds vote. 

Your misstatements of the vote required for adoption of a special rule of order is what is causing confusion and unnecessary postings.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.