The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive session

Guest Chris H

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

MSW,

>>... a board was going into Executive Session ... to discuss topics that they did not want a non-board member ... to hear about: is that "legal"?<<

kg; Yes, Robert's Rules of Order says that some boards meet 100% o"

What I believe is happening is regular club business that the board doesn't want the general membership to know about is being conducted in executive session rather than at the board meeting. So now that I know, according to the responses to my query, th"

The membership can, with a two-thirds vote, order the board minutes be read out at a membership meeting. A majority vote will be enough if previous notice has been given, and a vote of the majority of the entire membership will do too.

I suppose "

>>the board minutes are read at general membership meetings but I don't expect what happened during executive session will be read.<<

It appears that it is the usual practice of the board to read its non-executive session minutes at g"

In this particular organization, the board serves ONLY in an advisory capacity. They have no actual authority to take action. Therefore, everything that the board votes upon, goes before the membership for an up or down vote of the board's decisions. <"

The board spends the time discussing the merits of various topics before coming to a conclusion as to what might be best. This makes the meetings more efficient because the time spent discussing (or arguing) was spent in a board meeting with fewer people"

From the bylaws. Please note the last sentence.

SECTION 1. Board of Directors. General management of the Club affairs shall be entrusted to the Board of Directors. The Board shall consist of the officers of the Club and three additional Director"

I note the last sentence. And the first sentence. And the resulting ambiguity. An argument could be made that the board is NOT limited to giving advice, and that the board, being "entrusted" with "General management of the club affairs&q"

Guest Gary c Tesser

I'll also say that "they want an organization where the club is controlled entirely by the board. We never wanted that. We wanted a club controlled by the membership. And we still do" --

-- are sentiments I cannot endorse strongly enoug"

Guest Gary c Tesser

And maybe just to reinforce my bona fides as persnickety, I don't think "parameters" are at all involved.

But probably not about my bona fides at all, I bet MSW has misused the word, but not to criticize harshly, she obviously has been "

>>they want an organization where the club is controlled entirely by the board. We wanted a club controlled by the membership.<<

There is a happy medium between the board being a purely advisory body and having full control over the o"

Archived