The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Previous Question on divided question

Guest J. J.

Guest Paul McClintock

JJ, per the p. 190 citation you gave, PQ "Can be applied to any immediately pending debatable or amendable motion; to an entire series of pending debatable or amendable motions; and to any consecutive part of such a series, beginning with the immedia"

Guest Paul McClintock

> If a main motion is divided to parts A and B, and while A is pending and amendment Amd-A is pending the assemblies order the Previous Question on all pending motions.

> graph it out

1. Main motion: to commend Paul and JJ

2. D"

> 1. Main motion: to commend Paul and JJ

2. Divide the question; adopted. <

This example sounds like something that might be divided at the call of a single member. In that case, in particular, it would seem inappropriate for the assemb"

Guest Paul McClintock

Thanks, all, for your insights. It's nice to see some agreement on a gray area.

In some sense, B is pending: it immediately comes up after A is disposed of, just like A immediately comes up after Amd-A is disposed of. Hence it seems somewhat re"

Paul, I hesitate to respond since I'm not at home (and thus can't do the kind of looking at stuff that I ought to do before responding), but I do agree with those who say that a motion to order the previous question on all pending questions would not appl"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

Paul,

If you need a parliamentary theory to justify the separation, then, the way *I* think about it, is this way.

---

To Divide the Question has the effect of creating a "super" "special order" or "general order.&quot"

>>This example sounds like something that might be divided at the call of a single member.<<

A motion to commend two different individuals does not seem to be the type of motion which could be divided at the call of a single member. T"

Archived