The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy votes

Guest Chris H

Guest Paul McClintock

It boils down to whether your bylaws explicitly allow proxies for board meetings, but per RONR proxies *should not* be allowed except where membership is based on ownership which is transferable. That may be the case with stock corporations or homeowner "

question---I am the Board chair and many of our members elect to give their vote to another board member----

We have a very critical mtg with significant discussion that will be important to the end decision---

Do I have the right to not"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>Do I have the right to not allow board members to designate their proxy to another board member?<<

Not unless you can point to a rule which gives you that right. Which, frankly, seems unlikely.

But that doesn't mean that pr"

>>Do I have the right to not allow board members to designate their proxy to another board member?<<

Unless your Bylaws allow for proxies, then yes, it is your right and duty to inform the board members they can't give a proxy to anyo"

A nearby organization (non-profit corporation) has a Board of 14 members. They frequently hold meetings without a quorum present, claiming a proxy from Jim or Martha to constitute a quorum and proceed to do business. Non-profit law is silent. with regard "

Archived