The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Rule of Order

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>Our current by-laws do not list that edition<<

If no specific edition is indicated, the current edition is applicable (per the current edition). So what, specifically, do your bylaws say? (A question I never thought I'd be asking he"

LOL, unfortunately they currently say:

"Article VI: Parliamentary Authority

The rules contained in Webster's New World Robert's Rules of Order Simplified and Applied, Second Edition 2, shall govern the Club in all cases to which the"

That is about as specific a reference as one could generate, unfortunately to a rip-off "version" of the rules.

So it looks as though you are confronted with amending your bylaws - following their own amendment rules, of course - to ins"

we are working on it. But my question originally posted still remains. Since our club is a member of a larger governing club, can we change the version of RR's to be used simply by a Special Rule of Order, and not by an actual amendment to the by-laws, "

That sort of question isn't covered by RONR (or, I think, your rip-off version) but by the parent company bylaws. They might define "must" in this context. Or indicate the consequences if you not doing what you are supposed to. (Which implies "

Well, I know if we don't comply with the change to the official RR's, our club will not be recognized by the AKC because our by-laws will not be in compliance.

My thinking on changing the version by a Special Rule of Order, is that it is not a by"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

Dorene,

Beware.

I have not read the bylaws of the superior body to which you refer.

I have not read the bylaws of YOUR organization.

But I wanted to point out that JUST BECAUSE the superior organization uses a specific parliamentary autho"

>>can we change the version of RR's to be used simply by a Special Rule of Order,<<

No. If your Bylaws were silent regarding a parliamentary authority, a Special Rule of Order would do the trick. But a Special Rule of Order cannot con"

Archived