The Official RONR Q & A Forums

hiring by a school board

Guest Gary c Tesser

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

b nalesnnik,

I will assume you are asking a question about Robert's Rules of Order, and not asking a question about your customized bylaws.

---

If there were 4 affirmative votes, and 3 negative votes, and everybody else who COULD HAVE VOTED bu"

>Alan, what if the missing vote was a no?

Well the missing vote can't be a vote of no since a vote wasn't cast but it could have same effect as voting no.

In which case you would need at least 5 votes since a majority of both 8 and 9 "

Strictly under RONR, a vote of 4 to 3 is sufficient to elect.

Assuming that this this is public school board, it would be advisable for the attorney to check statute. Some states have laws requiring a majority of the board to appoint people to c"

I'm going along with the question of whether it's fair to say the missing vote was not cast.

I think I'm agreeing that the missing vote is a high-priority issue here, regardless of the consequences or otherwise how the vote falls out."

Well, I, at least, started with the impression that on a ballot vote, one had indeed plain gone missing. And didn't for sure figure that "missing vote" referred to the absentee that the original poster mentioned in his/her follow-up statement.<"

But surely one must try very hard to read "the member was not present at the meeting", which was posted in direct response to Gary's question "How did it go missing?", as referring to something other than that missing vote.

"

Archived