The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who runs the meeting?

Guest Rob Elsman

No one "runs the meeting", whether or not the president and vice president are absent.

The secretary may call the meeting to order and proceed immediately to the nomination and election of a president pro tem who will preside over the m"

Guest Weldon Merritt

<<When the regular presiding officer has the title of president, the temporary one always takes the title of president pro tem.>>

Not so. See RONR, p. 437. The title "president pro tem" does not appeaar in RONR (or at least "

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

Or, to split the difference, the chair pro tem is regularly addressed as "Mr. President".

It may be semantic but I think avoiding the term "president pro tem" makes it less likely that the occupant of the chair will mistakenly"

I think the given citation applys to the presiding officers of mass meetings or similar meetings of assemblies not permanently-organized. However, it is the long-standing practice in this country to address a president pro tem as "Mr. President""

Guest Weldon Merritt

Nothing in either the citation I provided, nor in the one Mr. Foulkes provided, suggests that the rule is limited to mass meetings, which are covered elsewhere. I suspect General Robert had, and his successors still have, a pretty good understanding of "

A temporary occupant of the chair is addressed with the same title as would be used for the regularly-presiding officer. If the regularly-presiding officer has the title of Chairman, the the chairman pro tem would be addressed as "Mr. Chairman";"

Guest Weldon Merritt

<<The General would, quite likely, have been aware of the title President Pro Tem in state and national legislative bodies and the customary form of address, "Mr. President".>>

Quite likely so. But “President Pro Tem"

Guest Weldon Merritt

<<A temporary occupant of the chair is addressed with the same title as would be used for the regularly-presiding officer.>>

And where is that found in RONR (for anyone other than a Vice President, Vice Chair, or the like)? Just sayin"

Archived