The Official RONR Q & A Forums

misinterpretation of by-laws

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

> Members of the association have to be a member for, at least, one year to be eligible for office. <

The interpretation of your bylaws is up to your organization. RONR pp. 570-573 provide some principles of interpretation that may be usefu"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

The fiscal year is (probably) irrelevant. But even the fiscal year is 365 (or 366) days long.

So you first have to figure out when a certain person became a member. Then you add 366 days (just to be safe). That's when that person will have been a"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

It like the little sign you see when you walk into a store to buy beer. You have to have born on or before May 8, 1989, if you want to buy beer today.

They don't really care about fiscal years."

The issue appears to be determining if the one year requirement for a member to become an officer applies to induction date (May) or the date the golf league begins and the officers begin their term of service(September). An argument could even be made a"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>It is actually May 7, 1989, the day before the anniversary, if you check the sign.<<

You mean I could have bought beer the day BEFORE I became "legal"?!?!

Well, those are 24 hours I'll never be able to re-capture."

You will have to make your decision, but let me offer an opinion and analogies.

A year usually means 365 days (366 if there is Feb 29 in the period). Think of it like a bank CD. You buy a 1 year CD on May 15, 2009 and it matures in one year - on"

I do undertand that but it is NOT in the by-laws when you actually join. Is it the day of the dated check, or the first day of the new season league opening? My point is we all interpret it differently and what do you do with that. This one lady will b"

> So it will up to the people who DRAFTED and who ADOPTED that language WHAT that language means. THEY are in the best position to know what they had intended when they placed that burden on themselves. <

Although it is nice if the people w"

Archived