The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recess at a meeting without a quorum

Guest George Mervosh

One definite quirk is that those main motions in the fourth case, motions to obtain a quorum, are NOT debatable as per p. 337.

A motion "To call members Kim, Rob, H.W., George, and Jonathan and ask them to come to the meeting," is a leg"

Well, I just received my first "Thank you." I lived long enough. I used a perfectly reasonable dash. Oh, well. I just wanted to say that "no debate" isn't common sense to me. I might know that calling would be inferior to some other m"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

HWM,

>>. . .garden variety main motions. . .<<

kg: Not so.

Main motions are debatable.

Those first three are NOT debatable in an inquorate meeting;

i.e., their SDC #5 prevails over SDC #5 of a Main Motion;

and t"

Yes, I think the references to fix the time to which to adjourn, adjourn, and recess are to the privileged form because of the inclusion of the section numbers. It says the first three are governed by the SDCs, which would include that those 3 motions are"

>>Was it intended to make those first three, recess, adjourn, and a motion scheduling an adjourned meeting, undebatable, when main motions?<<

I doubt it. I think the sentence referring to the SDCs is intended as a helpful cross-refere"

I'm not sure about that. The fourth group of motions on that list would be debatable if made at a meeting a quorum; they are not debatable if there is no quorum.

Page 336 actually lists the section numbers for the three motions, so they could ha"

>>At an inquorate meeting? You can't, can you? <<

Sure you can, especially a rule that some motion wouldn't be debatable. You couldn't, obviously suspend the rule that a quorum was needed.

>>If so, I wonder what the re"

> Sure you can, especially a rule that some motion wouldn't be debatable. <

OK, I must be reading the rule 'the only action that can legally be taken in the absence of a quorum is...' (p. 336) too literally. I assumed that suspending the ru"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

Trina,

>>I must be reading the rule 'the only action that can legally be taken in the absence of a quorum' too literally.<<

kg: If taken literally, then an inquorate meeting could not elect a chairman pro tem, nor a secretary pro "

>>Thanks for clarifying that detail, and apologies for wandering away from the main point of your thread. <<

Actually, this started out looking at the process for an inquorate meeting electing a secretary pro tem. I was thinking in t"

The text of ROR, p. 258-259 doesn't contain this confusing language. "The only business that can be transacted in the absence of a quorum is to take measures to obtain a quorum, to fix the time to which to adjourn, and to adjourn, or to take a recess"

An election of a secretary pro tem is a main motion that is admissible when the meeting is inquorate, since the assembly has the obligation to have minutes taken of the meeting. If necessary, the election can be admitted as a question of privilege affecti"

The section numbers in parentheses and the four types of allowable motions appears in the first RONR. The 9th edition added the text about being governed by the SDCs. I imagine there was a reason for that additional language. Therefore, I think the curren"

My guess is that the authors had first in mind the loss of a quorum during the transaction of business, i.e., while a question is pending. Generally, the members' right to debate is only suspended when the purpose of the motion requires it or the assembly"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>Not seeing the forest for the trees seems to be the real problem. Everyone seems to be focused so narrowly on p. 337 that the rest of the book is neglected. That's almost always a recipe for disaster when it comes to interpreting RONR.<<"

>>Not seeing the forest for the trees seems to be the real problem. Everyone seems to be focused so narrowly on p. 337 that the rest of the book is neglected. That's almost always a recipe for disaster when it comes to interpreting RONR. <<

Archived