The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominees withdraws before election

Guest George Mervosh

As far as the general parliamentary law is concerned, nominations from the floor are in order at the regular meeting in May. I wouldn't begin to guess how the prescriptions of the organization's bylaws might confict with the general rule."

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

And there really is no procedure for withdrawing a nomination from the floor.

In other words, I can nominate John Doe and John Doe can't withdraw "my" nomination of him. All he can do is let everyone know that, if elected, he will not s"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

I think the only exception is when the nomination is made by the nominating committee. In that case, since it's the responsibility of the committee to nominate viable candidates, they have to, in effect, accept the "withdrawal" and select someon"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>Following your election, should any vacancies remain, refer to your by-laws to determine the procedure for filling the open positions just as your organization would for any vacancies that occur mid-term.<<

Not so. An incomplete ele"

Boss Lady says the search feature in the new forum will be improved. I can't wait. Hope I survive the VIOLENT tornadoes and BASEBALL-SIZED hail on the menu for this afternoon. If you see Todo and me flying by, say "hey!". ;)"

In our organization, the nominations committee isn't held hostage to their task until all positions are filled. Once the general election occurs, they are excused from duty. At that time, positions are filled according to the same process as a mid-term "

>>I think the only exception is when the nomination is made by the nominating committee.<<

As Mr. Elsman notes, RONR also refers to nominees withdrawing after a round of balloting.

>>But I don't think there's any rule t"

Archived