The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Roll Call after Call the Question

Guest JDStackpole

I'd say, yes, it is proper to interject a motion for a roll call vote after Previous Question has been moved but not yet voted on - the roll call motion applying to the same [main] motion to which PQ is intended to apply.

Two reasons, both arisin"

Guest Dan Honemann

"Usually, but not always, an incidental motion is legitimately incidental to another pending motion only while the other motion is immediately pending." (RONR, 10th ed., p. 70).

In my opinion, this is an instance in which the "usua"

To elaborate on my question, do you think that anyone can make an attempt to Roll Call the motion to call the question? I know that one can call division if it is unclear if the vote has 2/3rds when calling the question, but it seems to me there may be i"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

I suspect many a chair would rule a motion to take a roll-call vote on a motion to move the previous question as dilatory.

Note, too, that RONR says that a roll-call vote should not be used in any assembly whose members are not responsible to a c"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

Kelsey,

>>I know that one can call division if it is unclear if the vote has 2/3rds when calling the question<<

kg: Since the normal Book rule is that a motion for the Previous Question is a RISING (standing) vote, and since a ris"

Our assembly consists of elected directors and has 20 people.

Votes are conducted by a show of hands, and a standing vote would be quite unusual for us. I think our assembly would avoid such a practice due to disability concerns from some of our"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

It should be possible for the chair to count the raised hands of twenty members without resorting to a roll-call vote. The only possible glitch would be if someone voted twice but if you have a member who would do that you've got bigger problems."

Archived