The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By-Law changes

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>The chair ruled that the by-laws being voted upon were "new" by-laws and not an amendment to the existing by-laws<<

Sounds like it's time for a new chair.

Did anyone have the sense to appeal the chair's absurd rul"

What you voted on was a revision of the bylaws (the proposed document was offered as a subsitute for the current bylaws) and a 2/3 vote was required (RONR pp. 575-576). However, if a Point of Order was not raised at the time of the announcement the revis"

Guest Kenneth Gill

I am not sure if anyone raised a Point of Order at that time since all hell broke loose as soon as the chair ruled on the motion and they very quickly adjourned the meeting. I think that they were more worried a fight was going to break out then if their"

> The letter we received calling the meeting stated that the meeting was to vote on new by-laws and not on a revision to the current by-laws. I am not sure if this is relevant to the matter. <

'Unlike the case of amending or revising the by"

"I'm curious whether a point of order might still be timely if brought up first thing at the next meeting? Since no other business has intervened, and since one might argue that the meeting ended with adjournment due to emergency (fear of a fight)?&q"

I agree, particularly if someone (who knew enough to do so) hollered out "Point of Order" before the chair (improperly) declared the meeting adjourned.

Then the "point", whatever it was, would be pending when the meeting adj"

"Then the "point", whatever it was, would be pending when the meeting adjourned and would come up under Unfinished Business, p 347 (a)."

I would think that putting off the ruling on the Point of Order until Unfinished Business"

Archived