The Official RONR Q & A Forums

expenditure not aligned with bylaws

Guest J. J.

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

Does a gift of $380,000 to the American Cancer Society support education in public schools in NYC?

That's the question your members will have to answer. If a majority of them answer, "yes", you're good to go.

It sounds like a s"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>Even if outside the scope of the object, a two thirds vote is needed to introduce the motion (p. 108).<<

I think Mr. J. could have omitted the word "even", but I'm curious about RONR's use of the word "introduce""

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>does that mean 2/3 of membership or 2/3 of quorum.<<

Neither.

A two-thirds vote is the vote of at least two-thirds of the members present and voting.

With a quorum present, a vote of 1-0, with all other members abs"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>a majority still might decide to vote against it.<<

Or a majority still might decide to vote for it?

Is this the only instance in RONR where a (two-thirds) vote is required to INTRODUCE a motion?

And what's the dif"

>>So the second article in the bylaws, that defines the object of the society, is a rule that's clearly in the nature of a rule of order and, therefore, can be suspended?<<

I wouldn't say that. I think it's a special case exception, w"

>>So you can vote to consider a motion that's out of order?<<

No, but you can vote to consider a motion that's outside the scope of the object of the society by a 2/3 vote. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 108, lines 5-8; pg. 333, lines 1-4; pg. "

It is similar, and would effectively be "suspendable" because RONR says it is.

The function of the clause, procedurally, is to prevent motions outside of a specific class from being made. In that regard it is a rule in the nature of a "

> Even if outside the scope of the object, a two thirds vote is needed to introduce the motion (p. 108). <

I'm curious, what are the details of how this introduction is handled? The p. 108 citation, and the further page numbers provided by "

Guest Dan Honemann

Marianne's PTA would be well advised to consult with an attorney regarding the question as to whether or not its funds can be expended in this fashion, since this question is almost certain to be covered by some provision of applicable law. Applicable law"

> Once consideration of such a motion has begun, it is too late to raise the point of order, just as it would be too late to object to the consideration of a motion which is within the scope of the organization's object. <

Interesting - the"

>>If someone DOES want to formally ask the assembly to authorize introduction of a motion which proposes action outside the scope of the organization's object (as mentioned on p. 108), what are the characteristics of that request?<<

I"

Archived