The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy

Guest Al Davenport

Guest Al Davenport

Proxies are forbidden by Robert's Rules of Order, as a violation of a fundamental principle of parliamentary law.

If your bylaws or constitution allow for proxies, then proxies are allowed.

The issue about "agendas" (X not being on one) is irrelevant to the issue of proxies.

Maybe I worded it incorrectly. We were sent a proxy to vote for specific people for the board, can my proxy be used to vote on any additional items?

Can a board ask for a vote if it is not on the agenda?

Maybe I worded it incorrectly. We were sent a proxy to vote for specific people for the board, can my proxy be used to vote on any additional items?

As Mr. Goldsworthy pointed out proxy voting isn't permitted under RONR. If your bylaws specifically provide for it you will have to look to them for your answers. There is nothing in RONR that requires the assembly stick with only what is on the agenda (with the exception of a Special Meeting).

Since the rules in RONR cover only voting by members present at the meeting, the proxy will be governed by your own superior rules which specifically authorize it. (Without such rules, the proxy is not permitted.) You'll need to look to those rules for the answer of what the proxy can be used for.

If the proxy was limited then it was limited.

Boards don't ask for vote, members make motions. The agenda is (probably)irrelevant.

Archived