The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions made by previous board carry-over to new board?

Edna

I am parliamentarian of a Club's Board. Each year half the Board changes. In order to expidite business immediately, the previous Board entertains motions for the next Board to implement. Example: Not all Committees of the Board would be reuired to participate in a fund raiser; participation would be optional.

For many years a particular event has been for the benefit of a specific charity. There has never been a vote by the new Board to continue this event. It has been assumed it continues.

In order to get the ball rolling on the event, the previous Board moved to not require ALL committees to participate. Some of the Committees do NOT wish to participate. Must the new Board consider the action of the previous Board as a recommendation only? Must the new Board revote?

...the previous Board moved to not require ALL committees to participate. Some of the Committees do NOT wish to participate. Must the new Board consider the action of the previous Board as a recommendation only? Must the new Board revote?

The board is the board, regardless of changes in membership. If the 'old' board passed a motion (did they vote on the motion 'to not require ALL committees to participate'?), then the motion was passed. It is not proper or necessary for the 'new' board to vote on it again. If the current board members wish to revisit an action taken by the board in the past, a motion to rescind, or amend something previously adopted, may be used to accomplish that.

... Each year half the Board changes.

... Must the new Board consider the action of the previous Board as a recommendation only?

In general:

The only way to sustain a project beyond the normal churn of an election cycle is via a committee.

A committee does not automatically dissolve when its parent body experiences a changeover in personnel.

Indeed, this is how a convention can carry over business of some ongoing kind - by instructing the committee to report next year.

That being said, I don't know follow the flow of what is going on with your situation. So I cannot guarantee that my generic advice fits.

The board is the board, regardless of changes in membership. If the 'old' board passed a motion (did they vote on the motion 'to not require ALL committees to participate'?), then the motion was passed. It is not proper or necessary for the 'new' board to vote on it again. If the current board members wish to revisit an action taken by the board in the past, a motion to rescind, or amend something previously adopted, may be used to accomplish that.

Thank you for you very helpful information. On the three motions passed by the previous Board were done so by unaminous vote. These issues had bothered most of the committees of the Board throughout the years. A couple committee chairmen for the past are not willing to accept the vote. A couple individuals are adament at a previous Board cannot "dictate" to the next Board. I had suggested just what you advised: to revisit.

Archived