The Official RONR Q & A Forums

question on a motion

Guest Sheryl B

Is this part of Roberts Rules of Order, our organization has a chair that is so mean and rude to our members. She shout, calls people stupid, orders them around, and has really stated to dictate to our group. We use Roberst rules of order, but are not well versed in it. Any help would be so gratefully accepted! Thankis, Sheryl B

Is this part of Roberts Rules of Order, our organization has a chair that is so mean and rude to our members. She shout, calls people stupid, orders them around, and has really stated to dictate to our group. We use Roberst rules of order, but are not well versed in it. Any help would be so gratefully accepted! Thankis, Sheryl B

See FAQ #7 and FAQ #20.

Whether or not you are the object of her outbursts, you may interrupt and say, "I call Madame Chairman to order." This is a point of order that the chairman is not adhering to proper decorum. The chairman must then rule whether or not her conduct was, in fact, adhering to decorum. If she rules that it was (e.g. You point of order is not well taken. I am the chairman and I can yell and curse at whomever I please.) you may appeal the ruling. A majority vote is required to overturn the chairman's ruling. I expect you'll only have to do it once.

You could also move to suspend the rules to remove the chairman from presiding. This requires a 2/3 vote and can last only until the adjournment of the meeting. Just making the motion will put her one the defensive enough to make your point because your motion can provide the reason for doing so and she canot reply because the motion is not debatable.

-Bob

Archived