The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions/seconds

Guest mike murphy

At a general assembly of the union I belong to, the union officers brought an amendment to our contract to be voted on. It was told to the assembly that the motion did not have to be motioned because it was brought forth by the executive committee. They also told us it did not have to be seconded because of the same reason. Lastly, they told all the members that once the motion was opened for a vote anyone who wanted to leave and vote by paper ballot could do so without officially closing the debate.

Could someone tell me if this is the correct information. I honestly believe we were told incorrect information as I can find none of this in Robert's Rules.

thanks,

mike

At a general assembly of the union I belong to, the union officers brought an amendment to our contract to be voted on. It was told to the assembly that the motion did not have to be motioned because it was brought forth by the executive committee. They also told us it did not have to be seconded because of the same reason. Lastly, they told all the members that once the motion was opened for a vote anyone who wanted to leave and vote by paper ballot could do so without officially closing the debate.

Could someone tell me if this is the correct information. I honestly believe we were told incorrect information as I can find none of this in Robert's Rules.

A motion is required, a second is not.

Voting should not begin until debate is finished and the chair puts the question before the assembly. See pp. 31-54 for "The Handling of a Motion".

Archived