The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session

Guest Melinda

Context - board of directors meet in executive session to discuss personnel issues (non-disciplinary in nature - discussion concerning salary, pension, etc. for the staff members.)

The minutes of an executive session are accessible to members of the board but no others.

Does this "privacy" extend to any documents that were used during the meeting? Does this "privacy" extend to any documents which contain necessary information based on the decisions made at the executive session and which are given to staff in order to implement those decisions after the meeting?

Context - board of directors meet in executive session to discuss personnel issues (non-disciplinary in nature - discussion concerning salary, pension, etc. for the staff members.)

The minutes of an executive session are accessible to members of the board but no others.

Does this "privacy" extend to any documents that were used during the meeting? Does this "privacy" extend to any documents which contain necessary information based on the decisions made at the executive session and which are given to staff in order to implement those decisions after the meeting?

An executive session imposes confidentiality on the members. How that confidentiality is assured (e.g. shredding documents) is for the assembly to determine.

In order to maintain on topic and civility can you record Executive Closed Sessions (we tape Open Session)? Is there a recommended process for retainment of this record? Do many other agencies do this to keep accountability?

The assembly controls its own meeting room, so it decides whether recording is allowed, prohibited, or something else. But that's not how on-topic and civility are maintained.

RONR does not have a recommended process for retaining such records. (Common sense would say, keep them out of the hot sun.)

I would bet lots of agencies record their meetings, and keep the recordings. But Robert's Rules doesn't say, and I'm only guessing, as I hardly ever go out.

In order to maintain on topic and civility can you record Executive Closed Sessions (we tape Open Session)?

I doubt that the presence of a recording device will necessarily have the calming effect you desire. Many people "act out" when they know they're on camera.

And what is this "tape" you speak of? Is it something like the "film" I've heard the old ones mention?

I doubt that the presence of a recording device will necessarily have the calming effect you desire. Many people "act out" when they know they're on camera.

And what is this "tape" you speak of? Is it something like the "film" I've heard the old ones mention?

Thanks for feedback. It is more to control staying on topic, and within Brown Act, as with no recording or minutes it is a he said she said free for all. I just wanted to know if there was any guidance on retainment of tapes and if most agencies do this (Cities, Special Districts, etc.).

what is the protocol for calling an Executive meeting? Should all elected Board Members get a notification? If so what is proper notification?

Firstly, it's best to start a new topic if you're asking a new question.

Secondly, a meeting held in executive session (what this topic is about) is not the same thing as a meeting of the executive board (or executive committee).

That said, special (non-regular) meetings can only be called if the bylaws permit it. Otherwise you're limited to the regular (e.g. monthly) meetings. If the bylaws do authorize special meetings, they should also indicate who can call them and how they are to be called, (i.e. how much notice).

But all members have a right to be notified of all meetings.

But all members have a right to be notified of all meetings.

Just to clarify a little bit here, in the hope that it helps...... for Board meetings, all members of the Board must be notified. For meetings of the general membership, all of the members of the society must be notified, but they are not necessarily notified of Board meetings.

Archived