The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Refusal of HOA to implement Roberts Rule of Order at meetings

Guest cindycal

Our HOA states clearly in our Bylaws that Roberts Rules of Order (hasn't been changed for over 15 years) shall be followed for Parliamentary Procedure. We have only 7 directors, so we are informal for the most part, but both members and Directors have been abusive, rambling, etc. We have several new Directors, so we have met to discuss ways of making our meetings run smoother-but they refuse to use most of Roberts Rules, only the ones that they "like". I have even heard "they're only guidelines, no more". I have made copies of 10th revision available to all Directors as they are elected, with little compliance. I am only VP with one vote-can you offer me any advice on how to proceed from here? The President told me at the meeting last night the Directors can just change the Bylaws anytime they choose, including dropping Robert's Rules. Help.

Get more votes and proceed to FAQ #20.

And don't take the president's word for it that "the Directors can just change the Bylaws anytime they choose". Make sure that's what the bylaws say!

The Bylaws need majority membership vote, not Director vote. I need to be a more persuasive speaker. Thanks.

Archived