The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Club Financial Records

Mark41

I have a simple question: I was told by our club officers; that the club financial records are not for the general membership to see. Now as a new treasurer I was under the impression that any club member can ask to see the records at any time. Is it just because I am new to this, or is it true members have the right to see club records at any time?

is it true members have the right to see club records at any time?

The club's records belong to the club so it's up to the club (i.e. the membership) to decide if and how those records should be made available. As treasurer, you're not the "owner" of the financial records, just their "caretaker".

RONR gives an individual member the right to review the minutes of meetings but that's as far as it goes.

The club's records belong to the club so it's up to the club (i.e. the membership) to decide if and how those records should be made available. As treasurer, you're not the "owner" of the financial records, just their "caretaker".

RONR gives an individual member the right to review the minutes of meetings but that's as far as it goes.

I was just going to ask a similar question.

I have a member that is raising questions wherein he's demanding to see invoices, vendors address, contracts & bank statements etc.

I told him that the treasures report only states money on hand and outstanding obligation, therefore, actual money on hand.

I read RONR last night and it appears that for small clubs this is fine, there is nothing in our bylaws that addresses this issue.

Now he is requesting the Board rule on his request.

If he doesn't get favorable response from the board he will email every member and ask them to do the same.

Any rule that can address this issue?

Bob

I have a member that is raising questions wherein he's demanding to see invoices, vendors address, contracts & bank statements etc.

I told him that the treasures report only states money on hand and outstanding obligation, therefore, actual money on hand.

I read RONR last night and it appears that for small clubs this is fine, there is nothing in our bylaws that addresses this issue.

Now he is requesting the Board rule on his request.

If he doesn't get favorable response from the board he will email every member and ask them to do the same.

Any rule that can address this issue?

The content of the treasurer's report you have is fine. Individual members do not have the right to see any of the documents requested. The board is free to grant or deny the request. Whether his threat of e-mailing the members has any teeth depends on how many members agree with him and how soon the next general meeting is. Numerous general members requesting information has no more weight than a single member making a request, but at a general membership meeting, the general membership could order the board to produce the documents, by majority vote.

The bottom line is there is no rule addressing this issue, so the society gets to decide for itself who can see these documents.

Archived