The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who can vote

Tripple

The by-laws of our association state we are to follow RR. Last year a motion was made (and passed) to hire a man for a 1 year time period with a pay of $60,000. The 1 year time period is now coming to and end and another vote has been proposed to make this person a permanent employee giving him the same salary, but now with health benifits. According to RR, it states that no one can vote who has a direct personal or pecuniary interest. I have questioned members of my organization as to whether the man's wife can vote, and the man's parents can vote. The wife has a direct pecuniary interest since it is her husband getting paid. The man's parents have a direct personal interest. My question is, are his wife and his parents allowed to vote? I sincerely thank you for your answers.

According to RR, it states that no one can vote who has a direct personal or pecuniary interest.....

It says no such thing.

Mr. Mountcastle exaggerates a bit for emphasis; however, the language in RONR does differ on a short but crucial word, and also adds an important qualifying phrase at the end:

'No member should vote on a question in which he has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not common to other members of the organization.' (RONR p. 394 ll. 16-19, emphasis added).

Thus, RONR does not prohibit such members from voting, despite the advice that they shouldn't vote. Any such prohibition would have to come from the rules of your organization (or from some higher level source).

Archived