The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion postpone indefinitely

Guest CPAA delegate

During an assembly yesterday, we voted successfully a motion to postpone indefinitely another motion. Today, an amendment was made to the original motion (supposedly postpone undefinitely yesterday) and we had to voted on the amended motion. Is it legal? How can a motion postponed be amended the day after to be voted? Thanks for the clarification and the legal side of it.

During an assembly yesterday, we voted successfully a motion to postpone indefinitely another motion. Today, an amendment was made to the original motion (supposedly postpone undefinitely yesterday) and we had to voted on the amended motion. Is it legal? How can a motion postponed be amended the day after to be voted? Thanks for the clarification and the legal side of it.

The affirmative vote to postpone indefinitely can be RECONSIDERED. If that's what they did on the following day of a convention, that falls within the rules in RONR.

Even if not, if that's what they did, it's probably too late now to do anything about it, assuming the convention has ended.

-Bob

The affirmative vote to postpone indefinitely can be RECONSIDERED. If that's what they did on the following day of a convention, that falls within the rules in RONR.

Even if not, if that's what they did, it's probably too late now to do anything about it, assuming the convention has ended.

-Bob

Yes, it is too late as the convention has ended. But I'd like to understand for the future. It is my first attendance as a delegate to our Union convention and I will probably participate again in the future. How do you define "RECONSIDERED"?

What happened today is that another motion was adopted this morning by majority vote only to bring back yesterday's original motion on the table. Is this considered as a RECONSIDERATION of the vote to postpone indefinitely the original one? Is the vote subject to majority vote only or to two-thirds vote?

Yes, it is too late as the convention has ended. But I'd like to understand for the future. It is my first attendance as a delegate to our Union convention and I will probably participate again in the future. How do you define "RECONSIDERED"?

What happened today is that another motion was adopted this morning by majority vote only to bring back yesterday's original motion on the table. Is this considered as a RECONSIDERATION of the vote to postpone indefinitely the original one? Is the vote subject to majority vote only or to two-thirds vote?

I recommend getting the very readable Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised in Brief. It's $6.95 from Amazon and available in local stores. Here's a link to Amazonbut you can find it elsewhere at well.

-Bob

Archived