The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion to rescind

Greg

My understanding of RONR is that if you make a motion to rescind a previous motion adopted you will need a 2/3rds majority to pass. Unless at a previous meeting you make a motion to give notice to rescind a previous motion which would mean you only need the simple majority to pass??? Is that correct?

Bonus question for you pros out there. The motion I hope to rescind is a assessment fee motion. Does it matter if the assessment fee has already started? and if so, will I need to change the wording in my motion to rescind because the assessment has started?

Any help is appreciated, can you cite a page in RONR for me.

My understanding of RONR is that if you make a motion to rescind a previous motion adopted you will need a 2/3rds majority to pass. Unless at a previous meeting you make a motion to give notice to rescind a previous motion which would mean you only need the simple majority to pass??? Is that correct?

Not quite correct. The motion to rescind something previously adopted requires a 2/3 vote without notice, majority vote with notice, or a majority of the entire membership. The notice might be given in several ways. Announcement at the previous meeting would be one way. Including the notice with the every-member mailing announcing the meeting would be another. Your organization might have others but they would need to be in your bylaws.

It the motion that's of your concern were, "That the assessment be increased from $800 to $1000 effective October 1, 2010", you could still rescind that motion as it is not yet completed. On the other hand, a motion to paint the club could not be rescinded after the club was painted.

-Bob

Not quite correct. The motion to rescind something previously adopted requires a 2/3 vote without notice, majority vote with notice, or a majority of the entire membership. The notice might be given in several ways. Announcement at the previous meeting would be one way. Including the notice with the every-member mailing announcing the meeting would be another. Your organization might have others but they would need to be in your bylaws.

It the motion that's of your concern were, "That the assessment be increased from $800 to $1000 effective October 1, 2010", you could still rescind that motion as it is not yet completed. On the other hand, a motion to paint the club could not be rescinded after the club was painted.

-Bob

Bob, Heres the motion as written: Here's the original assessment motion and the two amendments to the motion. All three passed.

Motion:

That Local XXX institute a special assessment fee of 3.00 per member per month to be used only for the purpose of Contract Negotiations.

Amendment One: To amend the previous motion by adding, "the collection of this 3.00 will cease thirty days after the ratification of the next contract.

Amendment Two: to amend the previous motion by adding "Any monies not used will be placed in an interest bearing account to be used only for future contract negotiations.

I want to rescind the above motion so that there is NO assessment fee, Zero. What would be the recommended verbiage you would use to make this assessment fee go away?

Considering the assessment fee has started deducting 3.00 each month from each member.

Please help.

Bob, Heres the motion as written: Here's the original assessment motion and the two amendments to the motion. All three passed.

Motion:

That Local XXX institute a special assessment fee of 3.00 per member per month to be used only for the purpose of Contract Negotiations.

Amendment One: To amend the previous motion by adding, "the collection of this 3.00 will cease thirty days after the ratification of the next contract.

Amendment Two: to amend the previous motion by adding "Any monies not used will be placed in an interest bearing account to be used only for future contract negotiations.

I want to rescind the above motion so that there is NO assessment fee, Zero. What would be the recommended verbiage you would use to make this assessment fee go away?

Considering the assessment fee has started deducting 3.00 each month from each member.

Please help.

It appears to me that the motion is not fully executed until thirty days after the ratification of the next contract. If you rescind it, people won't have to continue paying the assessment, but they won't get their money back that they've already paid in. As for how to word the motion, I'd just say, "I move to rescind the motion instituting a special assessment fee of $3 per member per month."

Archived