The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By-Laws Changes

Guest FDCapt

I have been researching and can't find an anwser...One of our members is going to bring up that our By-laws changes are not valid because ROR says they have to be certified mailed to all members. We have followed our procedure on the by-laws of readng them 3 times at the regular membership meetings and then aproving them, by majority vote. Thank you for any help with this.

One of our members is going to bring up that our By-laws changes are not valid because ROR says they have to be certified mailed to all members.

Nonsense.

Why are you taking your member's assertion seriously?

You won't find anything even close in any edition of Robert's Rules of Order. (From 1876 to present day.)

Is the member referring to a rule OTHER THAN Robert's Rules of Order?

We have followed our procedure on the by-laws of reading them 3 times at the regular membership meetings and then approving them, by majority vote.

If your bylaws contain its method of amendment (and if you follow it), then that is all you need.

Forget this "certified mail" stuff. - Unless you find a law or some such saying so.

Thank you for your responses... Our By-laws reference Robert's Rules as the authority on what we do...I felt I knew the anwser but I just need to make sure so if/when he brings it up at our next meeting I have the ammo to shoot him down with out a problem...he's a former power holder that sent our department into a downward spiral grasping at straws to get the power back.

Thanks again.

We have followed our procedure on the by-laws of readng them 3 times at the regular membership meetings and then aproving them, by majority vote.

I am not an authority. But speaking from the same fire department back ground, any changes to our bylaws only required the reading and approval at 3 meetings to set in stone. I have never heard of certified mailings.

The "three readings" rule applies only during odd-numbered years. In even-numbered years, they only need to be read twice, although someone by the name of Gus needs to attend at least one of those readings, or (if no Gus), the membership must all be facing West during the readings. Unless it's raining.

And all of this is my way of saying the three-reading rule is pagan ritual once considered for inclusion in Robert's first edition, but left out after much contentious debate (members called to order at least a dozen times during), and a two-thirds vote (President casting the deciding vote). And even that statement is mostly malarkey too.

Archived