The Official RONR Q & A Forums

General

Guest John

As a group we voted to hire a company to do some work on our building. When the techs showed for the work we were informed that what the salesman showed us and we voted to have done, cannot be done. Therefore, we have to get new bids, and vote on a new bid. I was told that the only way we can do that is if the person who made the motion, and the person who second the motion to hire the company in the first place must resend their motion and second and as a group must vote to resend what we have already voted to do. Is this right? To me, if what we voted to do cannot be done, then that kills the issue there and we are back to square one.

I was told that the only way we can do that is if the person who made the motion, and the person who second the motion to hire the company in the first place must resend their motion and second and as a group must vote to resend what we have already voted to do. Is this right? To me, if what we voted to do cannot be done, then that kills the issue there and we are back to square one.

You were told wrong. The maker of the motion enjoys no special status once the motion has been adopted (or rejected). And the seconder of the motion enjoys even less status.

If you can't do what you decided to do, the motion is moot (though you might want to rescind or amend the original motion just to tie up any loose ends).

Archived