The Official RONR Q & A Forums

elections

Guest CWaters

I am the advisor for an executive board of high school students. Our bylaws state that the term of office for president is from fall conf to fall conference. No seniors run for the position because they would not be eligible to complete the term of office since they would graduate before their term is up.

Now a senior has declared his intent to run for president. Would this be permitted since he knows he cannot complete his term?

The parliamentarian does not think this meets the intent of the bylaws, and is requesting the Executive Board to amend the bylaws stating specifically that seniors cannot run for the position. Our bylaws state that any changes in bylaws passed by Exec Board go into effect immediately.

What does Roberts say about this whole mess?

Thanks

I don't think it says anything. Members are free to vote for whomever they want. Even complete idiots. If you had an outstanding candidate who was terminally ill and would not live to see the end of the term, you might choose to elect him anyway because a little bit of a good president is better than a lot of a bad president. It's up to the voters.

Of course the bylaws can be amended to say anything but I'd tend to leave things the way they are: up to the voters.

And be careful what you wish for. You might adopt a rule preventing seniors from serving as president only to find, one day, that no one else but a senior wants the job. Even if only for half a year.

I am the advisor for an executive board of high school students. Our bylaws state that the term of office for president is from fall conf to fall conference.

I suppose you're asking if this restricts seniors from being elected. You haven't indicated any such restriction with what you've posted.

No seniors run for the position

"Running" for an election isn't a requirement in RONR. Members are free to decide.

because they would not be eligible to complete the term of office since they would graduate before their term is up.

I'm glad they are so confident, but I don't think it's a fact that all seniors graduate.

Now a senior has declared his intent to run for president.

Most rules would only deal with who can be elected. Don't get sidetracked with this "running."

Would this be permitted since he knows he cannot complete his term?

RONR does not restrict an election in such a way. You'll have to check your own rules, and what you've posted doesn't indicate any such restriction.

The parliamentarian does not think this meets the intent of the bylaws,

Intent only plays a factor when there is an ambiguity, and when that is the case, the organization decides, not the parliamentarian. A majority vote is all that is required to decide the question, and "The ambiguous or doubtful expression should be changed as soon as practicable." - See RONR(10th ed.), p. 570, l. 25-29.

and is requesting the Executive Board to amend the bylaws stating specifically that seniors cannot run for the position.

So long as the parliamentarian is remaining impartial, advising the amendment of the bylaws as a possible course of action seems reasonable.

Our bylaws state that any changes in bylaws passed by Exec Board go into effect immediately.

It's also the RONR default that bylaws changes take effect immediately.

It doesn't seem to be that big a mess. Your organization just has some decisions to make.

Archived