The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ex officio voting privileges

Guest Eugene Olson

Our church pays our pastor to preach and perform regular pastoral duties. In filing as a non-profit organization, he is listed as the president and his wife as secretary. Our constitution states he is an ex officio member of committees. It does not specify right to vote. It does say the "pastor and his wife shall be a member of the local church."

Qualifications of Voters "The right to vote is given to all members who have reached their 16th birthday. However, adult members only - 19 years of age and older - and those whose names appear on the active list are eligible to vote in: the call or dismissal of a pastor; in the purchase or sale of real property; in all cases of discipline; in all cases involving the expenditure of large sums of money and in amending this constitution."

My question is does the pastor have the right to vote to remove a member from membership and in matters involving his own family and himself. Removing the member was instigated by the Pastor. I feel it was a conflict of interest and an invalid vote was taken.

My question is does the pastor have the right to vote to remove a member from membership and in matters involving his own family and himself.

He should not vote on an issue where he has a personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members, but he still has the right to vote. See FAQ #9.

Archived