The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal from office

Guest Sandy

Our church bylaws state that a majority vote of a secret ballot is required to remove an officer or the pastor from office. I see that Robert's Rules states 2/3 is required. If we have adopted Robert's Rules would our bylaws be in error so that it would be what we have to follow rather than what is written in the bylaws?

Where there is a conflict of rules, one's bylaws is superior to the parliamentary authority, which yields.

Let me take Sandy's question one step further. Our bylaws state bylaws may be amended with a mojority vote, RONR states 2/3rds vote, our bylaws also state RONR is our governing document. We recently amended our bylaws yet our Executive Board went with the 2/3rds rule, it's to late now to appeal the decision of the chair from 3 months ago, so what are my options now?

... our bylaws also state RONR is our governing document.

If RONR governs, then note well that RONR says that RONR yields to one's bylaws.

That completes the circle. - The Book says it is inferior to the organization's rules.

Can't beat that.

Our bylaws state bylaws may be amended with a majority vote.

RONR states 2/3rds vote.

We recently amended our bylaws yet our Executive Board went with the 2/3rds rule.

It's to late now to appeal the decision of the chair from 3 months ago, so what are my options now?

If the amendments were ADOPTED, then all is well.

A two-thirds vote (RONR's default rule) is greater than majority vote (your rule).

Nothing was lost.

If amendments were REJECTED, then it is too late for "options."

You'd have to re-initiate the full amendment process.

Archived