The Official RONR Q & A Forums

use of present and absent

Guest G. Williams

We participate in a professional practice group at our facility. A member of our practice has filed a grievance with the union because they object to the term "absent" being used in the meeting minutes for those who are absent because, the word has "negative connotations". I have searched high and low. I realize that 'present/absent' is 'form/practice' for most meetings of groups, assemblies, governmental bodies. Can we justify its use?

The members of our practice group recently voted to keep the terms "present and absent" for our attendance. This is when a union steward was notified of the member's desire to file a grievance.

We will hold a meeting at the beginning of next week to 'justify the use' of the term 'absent' with our supervisors. Can you advise me where I can find the basis for the use of the word 'absent' as procedurally correct?

Thank you,

G. Williams

Can you advise me where I can find the basis for the use of the word 'absent' as procedurally correct?

Nothing in RONR requires recording the names of absent members in the minutes.

But you might ask the member who objects to the word "absent" to suggest another word to describe a member who is not present that doesn't have "negative connotations".

We participate in a professional practice group at our facility. A member of our practice has filed a grievance with the union because they object to the term "absent" being used in the meeting minutes for those who are absent because, the word has "negative connotations". I have searched high and low. I realize that 'present/absent' is 'form/practice' for most meetings of groups, assemblies, governmental bodies. Can we justify its use?

The members of our practice group recently voted to keep the terms "present and absent" for our attendance. This is when a union steward was notified of the member's desire to file a grievance.

We will hold a meeting at the beginning of next week to 'justify the use' of the term 'absent' with our supervisors. Can you advise me where I can find the basis for the use of the word 'absent' as procedurally correct?

Thank you,

G. Williams

How about 'present' versus 'not present' -- perhaps that would satisfy the desire for totally inoffensive language? Or, maybe 'not absent' versus 'absent'? :P

However, RONR does not provide advice on this issue. As Mr. Mountcastle notes, RONR does not support listing absent members in the minutes. For that matter, RONR doesn't support listing present members either. The assembly could choose to include such information in its minutes, and part of the choice could be a decision on nomenclature.

Archived