The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's responsibility

Guest Myrelle

If a member of a Board of Directors sends a resignation to the President, should he not then notify the other members of the Board and not just rely on "word of mouth"?

How long should it take for him to notify the Board and where can I find this reference in the book?

If a member of a Board of Directors sends a resignation to the President, should he not then notify the other members of the Board and not just rely on "word of mouth"?

How long should it take for him to notify the Board and where can I find this reference in the book?

The letter of resignation should be forwarded to the person or body authorized to accept it (which is usually the person or body that's authorized to fill the vacancy). There's no time limit, though "as soon as possible" seems reasonable.

In the (unlikely?) event that the president has the authority to fill the vacancy, he needn't notify anyone (though it might not be a bad thing to do). The other board members would simply see a new face at the table at the next meeting.

If a member of a Board of Directors sends a resignation to the President,

A resignation should be submitted to the secretary or appointing power. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 279, l. 10-13.

should he not then notify the other members of the Board

There's no rule that requires this; there's no rule that forbids it.

and not just rely on "word of mouth"?

If the board is the body responsible for accepting the resignation, it will show up at the next meeting. There's no need to alert the members of the board.

Neither the president, nor the member who is resigning is required to "notify" the board. If the board is the appointing power, the resignation should come before the board at the next meeting.

Archived