The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Showing up Uninvited

Guest LR Cote

What does Robert's Rules say about a board meeting that is disrupted by uninvited people? I have a meeting tonight, and I was told that a small faction of association members are threatening to disrupt our meeting. They have not asked to be put on the agenda. Are we required to hear them, and if so for how long? My first thought is to put them at the end of our meeting, but that means they'll be hanging around being disruptive. I could give them 5 mins at the beginning, just to get rid of them.

What does Robert's Rules say about a board meeting that is disrupted by uninvited people? I have a meeting tonight, and I was told that a small faction of association members are threatening to disrupt our meeting. They have not asked to be put on the agenda. Are we required to hear them, and if so for how long? My first thought is to put them at the end of our meeting, but that means they'll be hanging around being disruptive. I could give them 5 mins at the beginning, just to get rid of them.

Nonmembers of the board have no right to attend board meetings. The board can allow them to attend and to speak, but it's up to the board. If nonmembers are disruptive, the chair has the authority to expel them from the meeting.

Nonmembers of the board have no right to attend board meetings. The board can allow them to attend and to speak, but it's up to the board. If nonmembers are disruptive, the chair has the authority to expel them from the meeting.

Thank you for your reply. I'll let you know how it turns out, if you'd like.

... uninvited people ...

Q1. Are we required to hear them?

Q2. And, if so, for how long?

A1. No. Meetings are MEMBERS ONLY. You did not "invite" them, so I am assuming that THEY ARE NOT MEMBERS. They have no right to even be inside the meeting hall. You are free to bar them.

A2. "How long?" - Zero! - If Robert's Rules applies.

Archived