The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescinding a Grievance

Guest Renee

The U.S. Constitution speaks of a "redress of grievances." :D

But men, Guest Renee is asking her question on the forum of the robertsrules.com website, not on the forum of the U.S. Constitution.com website.

But I do think that Guest Renee might have a parliamentary question that we might be able to answer. Guest Renee, does your grievance procedure resemble making a motion? Or maybe does it parallel the Disciplinary Procedures in Robert's Rules's Chapter Twenty? If so, then if you supply some details, we might be able to answer your question.

I suspect, though, that more likely, one of two things. (1) Guest Renee's bylaws will have the answer to her question, since they will have in them the details of its grievance procedure.

Or, (2) It will turn out that, oh darn it, the bylaws will not have everything in them that should have been thought of, such as problems with the timing of allowable withdrawals. In which case, Guest Renee's organization will have to figure out the answer for itself, probably on the fly. Ouch. So I can offer that RONR offers some good advice on interpretation, on p. 570 - 573.

And then, we hope, the organization will promptly amend the rules to include the specific rules she's asking about.

Archived