The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is this motion legal?

Guest Philip

Our bylaws allow members to attend meetings electronically, i.e. by phone hookup. One member sent an email to other members offering motions in advance in case we are unable to get the phone hookup to work. Is this permissible per Roberts, or does the member have to be present (in person or electronically) to offer a motion? Where in Roberts can I find this?

Our bylaws allow members to attend meetings electronically, i.e. by phone hookup. One member sent an email to other members offering motions in advance in case we are unable to get the phone hookup to work. Is this permissible per Roberts, or does the member have to be present (in person or electronically) to offer a motion? Where in Roberts can I find this?

So far as RONR is concerned, members must be present (physically) in order to make motions. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 32-34. It's up to your organization to interpret its customized rules.

This person is claiming that he can present a list of motions to the chair in advance and the chair has to present them for consideration. After reading RONR 10th edition pp. 32 -34, it looks like he can present a list of motions to the chair in advance, but he or someone else has to be present to present the motions before the floor (either physically or electronically per our bylaws. Am I correct in stating that the president cannot offer motions while presiding over a meeting?

Thank you. So according to RONR, even though a person can have it written out in advance and presented to the chair, someone still has to be in attendance to present it (in our organization, either personally or electronically).

Yes, though most rules have exceptions.

Also, you said your bylaws make allowances for electronic attendance. It is conceivable that your rules also allow for deviations from RONR in regards to making motions in this way. So, check the rules of your organization carefully.

This person is claiming that he can present a list of motions to the chair in advance and the chair has to present them for consideration. After reading RONR 10th edition pp. 32 -34, it looks like he can present a list of motions to the chair in advance, but he or someone else has to be present to present the motions before the floor (either physically or electronically per our bylaws. Am I correct in stating that the president cannot offer motions while presiding over a meeting?

The chair has a duty to maintain a position of impartiality while presiding, which prevents him from making motions.

Am I correct in stating that the president cannot offer motions while presiding over a meeting?

He retains the right to make motions, but should refrain from doing so while presiding. See FAQ #1.

So according to RONR, even though a person can have it written out in advance and presented to the chair, someone still has to be in attendance to present it (in our organization, either personally or electronically).

Pretty much. It would certainly seem that the simplest solution is for the member to find an ally in the assembly to make the motions on his behalf. If he can't find someone to do that, the motions probably don't have much chance of being adopted anyway. :)

Archived