The Official RONR Q & A Forums

notice of motion for Constitutional change

Guest david g

We are required to give notice that we intend to move Constitutional amendments at our AGM. Paper copies of a group of dozens of such changes were circulated at the meeting before the AGM. The President and others were sent the changes by email before the meeting. The secretary asked that I send him the list by email, which I did. Several of the items were read and explained in detail at the meeting. The whole list was not read. No one called for more of them to be read at the meeting. It was agreed at the meeting that all notices would go to all members in the Minutes, by post office and email. We have a history of not reading every report, but of circulating them by email before meetings, or of handing out paper copies fo things.

Does the combination of handing out paper copies (and emailing to all) constitute making the required Notice?

We are required to give notice that we intend to move Constitutional amendments at our AGM.

Paper copies of a group of dozens of such changes were circulated at the meeting before the AGM.

The President and others were sent the changes by email before the meeting.

The secretary asked that I send him the list by email, which I did.

Several of the items were read and explained in detail at the meeting.

The whole list was not read.

No one called for more of them to be read at the meeting.

It was agreed at the meeting that all notices would go to all members in the Minutes, by post office and email.

We have a history of not reading every report, but of circulating them by email before meetings, or of handing out paper copies for things.

Does the combination of handing out paper copies (and emailing to all) constitute making the required Notice?

RONR only mentions two methods of giving notice.

• notice by mail

• oral, in-meeting notice. (Reading aloud the actual language fits this.)

RONR fails to mention "handing out."

RONR fails to mention "e-mail."

So, I leave it to you to figure out how well you did.

Archived