The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adopting a standing rule for approving memberships.

Sir Toby

Our bylaws list some basic requirements for becoming members, which include paying dues and submitting a membership application. RONR recommends that bylaws include "application and acceptance procedures, including a method of reviewing and voting on applications". See RONR (10th ed.) p. 554, l. 26-27. However, our bylaws don't specify any ability to review and vote on membership applications. Is it possible to adopt a standing rule that specifies a application review process?

Our bylaws list some basic requirements for becoming members, which include paying dues and submitting a membership application. RONR recommends that bylaws include "application and acceptance procedures, including a method of reviewing and voting on applications". See RONR (10th ed.) p. 554, l. 26-27. However, our bylaws don't specify any ability to review and vote on membership applications.

Is it possible to adopt a standing rule that specifies a application review process?

• Yes, if the rule is an administrative detail which coincides with your bylaws.

• No, if the rule introduces a new requirement (heavier? lighter?) or modifies a requirement.

Need an example?

Assume a bylaw: "Prospective members must fill out an application."

Q. Is the organization free to control the text on the application form through an ordinary standing rule (a.k.a. "policy" or "standard operating procedure" or "administrative order")?

A. Yes.

For example, you don't have to amend your bylaws merely to specify (for example) "12 point courier, 8 lines per inch, with 1.0 inch margins."

The text of the form, likewise, can be controlled via a standing rule.

Only you know what your rule(s) actually says. I don't.

But I think it is safe to say, if a FORM is required, then SOMEONE must design the form, and SOMEONE must read the incoming forms, for the rule to make sense.

So, as always, READ YOUR BYLAWS, as a starting point.

What you do from there is on your own.

• Yes, if the rule is an administrative detail which coincides with your bylaws.

• No, if the rule introduces a new requirement (heavier? lighter?) or modifies a requirement.

I would guess that adding a review process that is not mentioned in the bylaws is a new requirement, and thus is not allowed.

Someone else I'm discussing this issue with suggested that the process listed on RONR (10th ed.) p. 507-508 for accepting candidates for membership can be used in the absence of any review process provisions for new members in our bylaws. I don't really think this section applies since our bylaws don't specify a membership committee tasked with considering applicants for membership.

I would guess that adding a review process that is not mentioned in the bylaws is a new requirement, and thus is not allowed.

I don't feel comfortable saying that with certainty, since I have not read your Bylaws (don't post them here) and do not know the nature of the proposed "review process." Anything which conflicts with the Bylaws would be out of order. Rules which do not conflict with the Bylaws may be adopted as special rules of order or standing rules, depending on the nature of the rules.

I suspect this will likely develop into an issue of Bylaws interpretation, which is the province of the assembly and beyond the scope of this forum. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 570-573 for some Principles of Interpretation.

Someone else I'm discussing this issue with suggested that the process listed on RONR (10th ed.) p. 507-508 for accepting candidates for membership can be used in the absence of any review process provisions for new members in our bylaws. I don't really think this section applies since our bylaws don't specify a membership committee tasked with considering applicants for membership.

You are correct. The cited section refers to the report of a membership committee, and it is therefore not applicable to an organization which does not have a membership committee.

Archived