The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda Approval

Guest Javier

My organization uses RONR. Each meeting the chairman calls the meeting to order, produces an agenda, but never accepts or recognizes a motion to approve the agenda (often one isn't even attempted). Is there any recourse for business that is done under an agenda that is never approved?

My organization uses RONR. Each meeting the chairman calls the meeting to order, produces an agenda, but never accepts or recognizes a motion to approve the agenda (often one isn't even attempted). Is there any recourse for business that is done under an agenda that is never approved?

The issue with the agenda should be taken up when the chair "produces" it. The business that was conducted isn't in any way scarred by the fact that the agenda wasn't approved.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 342 for the Standard Order of Business. If you have adopted RONR, this is your order of business, so an agenda is not necessary. I would recommend following this order of business.

Each meeting the chairman calls the meeting to order, produces an agenda, but never accepts or recognizes a motion to approve the agenda (often one isn't even attempted).

Nothing wrong with that.

You don't need an agenda to run a meeting.

A chair is free to prompt the members for whatever business.

(Ex. - "Is there any committee ready to report?" and "Is there any new business?")

The fact that he has a piece of paper in front of him (which RONR calls a "memorandum") is of no consequence.

Q. Is there any recourse for business that is done under an agenda that is never approved?

No recourse. No need for recourse. No agenda is necessary. So no approval-of-an-agenda is necessary.

Archived