The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Lay on the table - Bylaw amendments

Dominator

Pg. 206 - "But a proposed amendment to anything previously adopted - existing bylaws, for example - is a main motion and when laid on the table does not carry with it what it proposes to amend."

Say my bylaws include, "Everyone receives one hat", and I propose an amendment of, "Everyone receive 2 hats". If this motion is laid on the table, what would be brought back in a motion to take from the table?

I don't understand what would be carried if the motion itself proposed to amend something, but yet when laid on the table, it loses what it proposed to amend.

Please help explain this to me, I'm sure I'm way off.

If a pending main motion to paint the barn red, with an amendment to strike red and insert blue, is laid on the table, both the main motion and the motion to amend come back from the table.

In the bylaw example, the bylaw itself isn't pending (it's been previously adopted), and thus the amendment you propose becomes the main motion. When laid on the table, your two-hatted motion to amend comes back, but the existing bylaw (which was never laid on the table to begin with) does not. It never left.

That's how I read it.

If a pending main motion to paint the barn red, with an amendment to strike red and insert blue, is laid on the table, both the main motion and the motion to amend come back from the table.

In the bylaw example, the bylaw itself isn't pending (it's been previously adopted), and thus the amendment you propose becomes the main motion. When laid on the table, your two-hatted motion to amend comes back, but the existing bylaw (which was never laid on the table to begin with) does not. It never left.

That's how I read it.

The existing bylaw couldn't leave the table because it wasn't on the table to begin with.

Pg. 206 - "But a proposed amendment to anything previously adopted - existing bylaws, for example - is a main motion and when laid on the table does not carry with it what it proposes to amend."

Say my bylaws include, "Everyone receives one hat", and I propose an amendment of, "Everyone receive 2 hats". If this motion is laid on the table, what would be brought back in a motion to take from the table?

I don't understand what would be carried if the motion itself proposed to amend something, but yet when laid on the table, it loses what it proposed to amend.

Please help explain this to me, I'm sure I'm way off.

Your motion to amend would return, completely intact. The bylaw does not adhere to the motion to amend, so it doesn't go to the table. When a motion adheres, it means it must be decided before that to which it adheres can be decided.

Archived