The Official RONR Q & A Forums

resignation of board member

Guest betty

A Board Member (treasurer) of our small homeowners group has just informed me (president) of his immediate resignation. Our elections are in October. Is this situation covered in Roberts' Rules or only in by-laws ? I can't seem to find it in the by-laws. Perhaps no one in our group has ever done this before, therefore no reference was thought necessary.

A Board Member (treasurer) of our small homeowners group has just informed me (president) of his immediate resignation. Our elections are in October. Is this situation covered in Roberts' Rules or only in by-laws ? I can't seem to find it in the by-laws. Perhaps no one in our group has ever done this before, therefore no reference was thought necessary.

While the particulars of your situation are not covered in RONR, resignations (requests to be excused from a duty) are in Section 32 (p. 277-280). There's enough there to get you going, but some specifics of the process (filling vacancies and so forth) should probably be covered by your bylaws. So, once you get through this (take notes as you go) you may want to think of how you will want to amend them to give you more guidance, should you be faced with another resignation. And keeping asking questions here to help as you go.

Archived