The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Fiscal Year

jandm

Does the quarter start from the date of the October 18 meeting? Thus the quarter would be within Feb. 18 (10/18 -11/18, 11/18-12/18, 12/18-1/18, & 1/18-2/18)? Or is the quarter figured as Oct., Nov. Dec. Jan.?

If you expect someone to try to make sense out of this nonsense . . . I'm afraid you've come to the right place.

OK The dates:

The bylaws were given to the membership before the October meeting for voting at the October 18 meeting. There was no quorum at the October meeting.

There was no quorum at the November meeting.

No meeting was held in December.

No quorum at the January meeting.

Does the quarter start from the date of the October 18 meeting?

No.

The quarter "started" October 31st. -- At the end of the month where the initial meeting was held.

That is, November (any day), December (any day), January (any day) are within one quarter.

February 1st (and onward) is not within one quarter.

Forget "18th". Not relevant. -- It is month to month, not 90 days.

(excerpt, page 88)

In this book, two consecutive sessions are un-

derstood to be separated by no more than a quarterly time

interval if the second session occurs at any time during the

calendar month three months later than the calendar month

in which the first session was held. For example, with refer-

ence to a session held at any time during the month of Jan-

uary, no more than a quarterly time interval has intervened

since the most recent previous session if that session was

held on or after October 1st of the preceding calendar year;

and no more than a quarterly time interval will intervene

until the next session if that session will be held on or be-

fore April 30th of the current year.

Oh! I forgot to add . . .

This quarterly stuff is not relevant to YOUR original question.

I answered your last question, despite the fact it is unrelated to solving your problem.

If you "miss" a meeting due to "no quorum", that's tough cookies. -- The Book measures time by calendar month, not by meetings, when doing "quarterly" calculations.

Thanks to you all - there were so many disagreements on the Quarter and unfinished business that I just went with one answer - but I surely did not mean to ignore anyone.

Well, it's become painfully clear that I'm in the minority here, and while I still think you technically could bring up the motion as Unfinished Business as it would be carried over, at this point I would question whether it would be wise to do so, considering that you've now had two inquorate meetings since notice was originally provided. It may be best to just provide notice again.

Well, it's become painfully clear that I'm in the minority here, and while I still think you technically could bring up the motion as Unfinished Business as it would be carried over, at this point I would question whether it would be wise to do so, considering that you've now had two inquorate meetings since notice was originally provided. It may be best to just provide notice again.

Thank you, Josh. That is what we decided to do

Archived