The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

Guest virginia

I am one member on a board consisting of 8 others. Right now the Chair of our non profit association has the majority (some call it a 'click') and what ever motions are made by any one of them...it will pass, it doesn't matter what it is. My concern is when the board is totally out of control (spending money on everything except what it should be spent on) board members 'beefing up' their expense reports, employees afraid they'll loose their jobs if they don't do as the Chair says (or even possible they may get a trash-mouthed tongue lashing) and the list goes on....when you think there may be some border line unethical and possible illegal goings on, who do you call? Who can I call? There is nothing in our by-laws addressing this matter and probably not in RONR but is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction? Thank you!

I am one member on a board consisting of 8 others. Right now the Chair of our non profit association has the majority (some call it a 'click') and what ever motions are made by any one of them...it will pass, it doesn't matter what it is. My concern is when the board is totally out of control (spending money on everything except what it should be spent on) board members 'beefing up' their expense reports, employees afraid they'll loose their jobs if they don't do as the Chair says (or even possible they may get a trash-mouthed tongue lashing) and the list goes on....when you think there may be some border line unethical and possible illegal goings on, who do you call? Who can I call? There is nothing in our by-laws addressing this matter and probably not in RONR but is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Get a lawyer.

Get a lawyer.

The chair is using our association's corporate lawyer to threaten me and so but I would have to pay for a lawyer out of my pocket? How can one board member use the association lawyer against another board member but I can't? That's another thing where the 'click' she has comes in handy.

I am one member on a board consisting of 8 others. Right now the Chair of our non profit association has the majority (some call it a 'click') and what ever motions are made by any one of them...it will pass, it doesn't matter what it is.

You may be in a minority on the board but if you have a majority of the general membership behind you, see FAQ #20.

(And the correct spelling is "clique".)

My concern is when the board is totally out of control (spending money on everything except what it should be spent on) board members 'beefing up' their expense reports, employees afraid they'll loose their jobs if they don't do as the Chair says (or even possible they may get a trash-mouthed tongue lashing) and the list goes on....when you think there may be some border line unethical and possible illegal goings on, who do you call? Who can I call?

A lawyer.

There is nothing in our by-laws addressing this matter and probably not in RONR but is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction?

Well, there is something in RONR. See RONR, 10th ed., Ch. XX and FAQ #20, elsewhere on this site.

The chair is using our association's corporate lawyer to threaten me and so but I would have to pay for a lawyer out of my pocket? How can one board member use the association lawyer against another board member but I can't?

Try to exhaust your parliamentary options first, but if those fail, I'm not aware of any other option but the legal system.

Archived