The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda meetings

Guest Jeanne

I as a "member only" of an HOA sat in on a board adgenda meeting this morning. Our President had issured her adgenda meeting schedule on paper to each and every board member yesterday. so the adgenda was set for next Tuesdays board meeting. The adgenda meetings are open to the community to attend. At these meeting they talk about people by names in our community and they all put their imput in on solving the problems. I feel it is a big gossip session and to me it should not be happening. The people they are talking about are not even present to hear what they are saying about them. Our President says she runs her board by Roberts rule of order, but I am wondering if she is over steping her position in doing this practice at her adgenda meetings. Please someone give me some advice. we are a small senior development of 65 home. many pf our homeowners have lost interest in board meetings and not wanting to be active in the community because of so much back stabbing.

can anyone give me some advice or state a Roberts rule that is being broken against such behavior? Thank you for your time. Jeanne

I as a "member only" of an HOA sat in on a board adgenda meeting this morning. Our President had issured her adgenda meeting schedule on paper to each and every board member yesterday. so the adgenda was set for next Tuesdays board meeting. The adgenda meetings are open to the community to attend. At these meeting they talk about people by names in our community and they all put their imput in on solving the problems. I feel it is a big gossip session and to me it should not be happening. The people they are talking about are not even present to hear what they are saying about them. Our President says she runs her board by Roberts rule of order, but I am wondering if she is over steping her position in doing this practice at her adgenda meetings. Please someone give me some advice. we are a small senior development of 65 home. many pf our homeowners have lost interest in board meetings and not wanting to be active in the community because of so much back stabbing.

can anyone give me some advice or state a Roberts rule that is being broken against such behavior? Thank you for your time. Jeanne

Well, of all the parliamentary rules being violated, nonetheless, there apparently is unanimous consent to run the meeting this way.

I mean, without someone speaking up with a proper Point of Order, whatever is going on has the consent, or silent acquiescence, of those present.

So, it does not matter how many rules are being violated, since there is zero interest in applying Robert's Rules of Order.

can anyone give me some advice or state a Roberts rule that is being broken against such behavior?

See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 379-382 for the rules of decorum. If a majority of the board likes the way things are now, however, your only solution may be to elect new board members. See FAQ #20 if you don't feel like waiting until the next regular election.

Archived