The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion to terminate a member

tamali

Our bylaws are governed by RR revised. We have a member who has not violated our bylaws or rules but has written to all members making serious accusations about another member and causes disruption at meetings with these accusations. 5 members have already quit because of her. Other members want her out and want to know if they can make a motion to terminate her membership (and follow the motion process) with her present at the GM. She is not an officer. I couldn't find anything in the 2 books I have and I want this done correctly. Our bylaw states charges against any member who violates bylaws or rules must be made in writing to the Board. If confirmed, the board shall direct the Sec to send a letter stating that the violation has been noted. A second letter the member will be terminated. As I said she did not violate the bylaws or rules because we have had nothing like this before. I need to know what my options are and make sure this is done correctly. thank you so much.

I hope you have RONR 10th Edition in hand. If not, go and buy it now. I'll wait...........

Okay, ready? I think you should take a look at pages 626-628, Breaches of Order by Members in a Meeting. If this member is not violating any bylaws or rules, such as you are thinking of them, there is still the rule of decorum at meetings. The process is detailed in those pages, wherein the member is called to order, either by the chair or any other member. If the breaches are severe (you'll need to decide this), and continue, the offender can be "named", which amounts to preferring charges. The chair could instruct the secretary to take notes on any language used by the member. "n any case of an offense against the assembly occuring in a meeting, there is no need for a formal trial with witnesses, since the witnesses are all present and make up the body that is to determine the penalty." (p. 627 ll. 14-17) If the offender can resolve this by apology and recanting of statements, that may be it.

If not, the chair can ask the membership what penalty should be imposed, including up to expulsion from membership, which requires a 2/3 vote.

All of this is an extreme situation, and your chair and membership will need to proceed carefully. Read the cited pages several times, then come back and ask more questions.

Good luck.

I hope you have RONR 10th Edition in hand. If not, go and buy it now. I'll wait...........

Okay, ready? I think you should take a look at pages 626-628, Breaches of Order by Members in a Meeting. If this member is not violating any bylaws or rules, such as you are thinking of them, there is still the rule of decorum at meetings. The process is detailed in those pages, wherein the member is called to order, either by the chair or any other member. If the breaches are severe (you'll need to decide this), and continue, the offender can be "named", which amounts to preferring charges. The chair could instruct the secretary to take notes on any language used by the member. "n any case of an offense against the assembly occuring in a meeting, there is no need for a formal trial with witnesses, since the witnesses are all present and make up the body that is to determine the penalty." (p. 627 ll. 14-17) If the offender can resolve this by apology and recanting of statements, that may be it.

If not, the chair can ask the membership what penalty should be imposed, including up to expulsion from membership, which requires a 2/3 vote.

All of this is an extreme situation, and your chair and membership will need to proceed carefully. Read the cited pages several times, then come back and ask more questions.

Good luck.

Good luck.

thank you I will purchase the 10th edition today.

Archived