The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removing the entire Board

Guest Jerry

Our BYlaws are such that if you bring someone up on charges for detrimental behavior to the club, that you pay a $25 fee and send it in. The Boared then looks at what you presented and decides if the charges seem reasonable to accept and call for a hearing of the person charged. In this case, I am looking at bring charges against the entire Board as the Membership is very unhappy with the the Board (includes the Officers) and would like to remove the entire group for their behavior. Since the charges go to the Board, I feel its unlikely they will vote to accept the charges and vote to remove themselves, so how do we do it? There are no other provisions to remove a Board member unless they miss 2 consectutive Board meeting and then its up to the Board if the absents is acceptable. The club needs to remove these elected Officials of th club, but we seem to be stumped on how to bypass the rules as the chance of them agreeing to remove themselves is 100% unlikely. Our club is a 400 membership and are located all over the USA, so its hard to get a quorum together except at our one meeting a year, but at that meeting we would like to remove them all but are trying to figure it out. Help?

Our club is a 400 membership and are located all over the USA, so its hard to get a quorum together except at our one meeting a year, but at that meeting we would like to remove them all but are trying to figure it out.

Amend the bylaws at the annual meeting to remove the board's disciplinary monopoly. (You could even amend the bylaws to remove the board altogether.)

but we seem to be stumped on how to bypass the rules

Sorry, but I think that's a GOOD thing. There are rules for a reason, and they're YOUR rules after all. Discipline (IAW RONR XX) should be a drastic step, so the threshold SHOULD be high. If it were too easy, there'd be discipline brought against boards every time an individual had an axe to grind.

If a majority want the board to change, make sure they all exercise their right to vote.

Since the charges go to the Board, I feel its unlikely they will vote to accept the charges and vote to remove themselves, so how do we do it?

Amend the Bylaws to change the disciplinary procedures.

but we seem to be stumped on how to bypass the rules

You can't bypass the Bylaws. If you don't like them you'll have to change them.

Sorry, but I think that's a GOOD thing. There are rules for a reason, and they're YOUR rules after all. Discipline (IAW RONR XX) should be a drastic step, so the threshold SHOULD be high. If it were too easy, there'd be discipline brought against boards every time an individual had an axe to grind.

If a majority want the board to change, make sure they all exercise their right to vote.

That's all well and good, but it also seems unwise to give the board sole control over disciplinary action. Certainly, however, the appropriate course of action is to properly amend the Bylaws, not to try to "bypass" them.

Archived