The Official RONR Q & A Forums

A table vote

Guest karrii

if you table a vote until another date do everyone that was there first time come back and vote again?

No.

The previous meeting's attendees are not a factor at all.

At any given meeting, only members who are present can vote.

The fact that they weren't there at the previous meeting is immaterial.

Oh! And you don't "table a vote".

You Lay on the Table the motion itself, not the vote of that motion.

Oh! And if you specify a date, then you haven't laid anything on the table. You have postponed the motion.

... but other than that ... :rolleyes:

if you table a vote until another date do everyone that was there first time come back and vote again?

This doesn't make any sense. First of all, the motion you want is the motion to Postpone Definitely, not the motion to Lay on the Table. Secondly, you postpone the motion, not just the vote. Most importantly the fact that you say "vote again" suggests some people have already voted, which is very concerning as it is never in order to postpone a motion during the vote (or make any motion during the vote, for that matter), and if everyone had already voted the motion would have already been disposed of and there would be nothing to postpone. I think you're going to need to provide some additional facts about what exactly happened at the first meeting to determine how to fix this mess.

In any event, the members who are present at the time of the vote are eligible to vote on the motion, and attendance at previous meetings is irrelevant, but I think that's the least of your problems if I'm interpreting the meaning of "vote again" correctly.

Archived