The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion made by a committee

Guest John P.

My congregation's council of elders has begun to bring up business by saying "the council moved on (date previous) to (do something)". No motion or second is ever made by the body to consider, and the motion takes the date of the council meeting which, in one case, was two months before the meeting of the congregation.

Is this proper and legal according to RONR? Our bylaws are silent on the matter so RONR takes precedence.

My congregation's council of elders has begun to bring up business by saying "the council moved on (date previous) to (do something)". No motion or second is ever made by the body to consider, and the motion takes the date of the council meeting which, in one case, was two months before the meeting of the congregation.

Is this proper and legal according to RONR? Our bylaws are silent on the matter so RONR takes precedence.

I'm not clear on the situation you describe but it sounds like the council is merely informing the congregation of what was done at a council meeting. Nothing wrong with that as long as what the council did is within its authority. For that, you'll have to check your bylaws.

See also Official Interpretations 2006-13.

I'm not clear on the situation you describe but it sounds like the council is merely informing the congregation of what was done at a council meeting. Nothing wrong with that as long as what the council did is within its authority. For that, you'll have to check your bylaws.

See also Official Interpretations 2006-13.

I was not clear in my original post. At a meeting of the congregation (full body) votes are being called on motions that were made by council members at council meetings. The motion is not made at the meeting of the body, but was made, at council, by members of the body. Does this clarify my question?

At a meeting of the congregation (full body) votes are being called on motions that were made by council members at council meetings. The motion is not made at the meeting of the body, but was made, at council, by members of the body.

Well, that sounds improper. Motions made at council meetings should be debated and voted on at council meetings. Similarly for motions made at meetings of the congregation. Unless you have some rule that requires some other procedure.

I think the council, acting as a committee, could present a motion to the congregation but the motion would still have to be made ("again") at the congregation meeting, then debated and voted on there.

Is this proper and legal according to RONR?

The proper course of action is for the reporting member of the council to conclude his report by making the appropriate motions. No second is from required since the motion is from a committee. The motion then follows the same procedure of consideration as any other motion.

Archived